One of the most picturesque cities on the island.
Rethymnon is a small city, but like all cities that carry thousands of years of history. The picturesque town has been untouched by earthquakes and has retained its blend of Eastern mystique and Western grandeur. There are numerous venetian houses and churches; the latter were converted into mosques during the period of Turkish rule. Clustered around its Fortezza (fortress), Rethymnon will make an immediate and lasting impression on visitors.
- A visit to the Fortezza (the fortress), especially nice for sunset!
- A drink/cocktail at Fraoules bar (Φραουλες – means strawberries)
- Walk around the old town and the small alleys! Look up and take a lot of photos
- Walk the small port and photograph the lighthouse – avoid the tourist traps!
- For special occasions you can have dinner at Avli, Erofili or Prima Plora.
- We like the atmosphere and food in Raki Baraki, Castello, To Pigadi, Lemonokipos but do not be afraid to try many other places in the alleys
- For the best souvlaki, we will send you to Gourounakia (Γουρουνάκια – little pigs)